More than a third of Fukushima children at risk of developing cancer
July 20, 2012
Over a third of children in Japan’s Fukushima region could be prone to cancer if medics don’t apply more effort in treating their unusually overgrown thyroid glands and commit to international health aid and consultations, according to a new report.
The shocking new report shows that nearly 36 per cent of children in the nuclear disaster-affected Fukushima Prefecture have abnormal thyroid growths. This is an extremely large number of abnormalities – some of which, experts say, pose a risk of becoming cancerous.
After examining more than 38,000 children from the area, medics found that more than 13,000 have cysts or nodules as large as 5 millimeters on their thyroids, the Sixth Report of Fukushima Prefecture Health Management Survey states.
In comparison, a 2001 analysis by the Japan Thyroid Association found that fully zero per cent of children in the city of Nagasaki, which suffered a nuclear attack in August of 1945, had nodules, and only 0.8 per cent had cysts on their thyroids, reports the Telegraph.
Radiation enters the body and is distributed through soft tissue, especially in muscle, and then accumulates in the thyroid. It is this accumulation that can potentially lead to cancer.
“Yes, 35.8 per cent of children in the study have lumps or cysts, but this is not the same as cancer,”says Naomi Takagi, an associate professor at Fukushima University Medical School Hospital, which administered the tests.
“This is an early test, and we will only see the effects of radiation exposure after four or five years”she added.
But some doctors are outraged that the results are not being sufficiently publicized.
“The data should be made available. And they should be consulting with international experts ASAP. And the lesions on the ultrasounds should all be biopsied, and they’re not being biopsied. And if they’re not being biopsied, then that’s ultimately medical irresponsibility. Because if some of these children have cancer and they’re not treated, they’re going to die,“ says pediatrician Helen Caldecott, as cited by Business Insider.
Note: This horrifying news comes during an incredible time of mass protest in Japan as thousands have taken the streets to oppose opening new nuclear reactors. For more information on the current protests going on in Japan against nuclear energy, click here.
281 Notes/ Hide
- colourblind-vision reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- dirtcrass reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- mansongorehorror likes this
- queerseedling reblogged this from bybabaoutlook
- dailyskinny reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- actyourrage reblogged this from aquavitaecollective
- colourblind-vision-backup likes this
- iloveyouyahoo likes this
- i-mpickingupthepieces reblogged this from casanova-frankensteins-monster
- idontgetnosleep reblogged this from aquavitaecollective
- thenewoctuple reblogged this from brashblacknonbeliever
- afemmesnowwhite reblogged this from nativeonthemountain
- iinyofais reblogged this from forqet
- ontopofyou reblogged this from thentheysaidburnher
- andnaivestill reblogged this from euphoricelixir
- euphoricelixir reblogged this from brashblacknonbeliever
- thevalidfallacy likes this
- project-argus likes this
- shewasbornfree reblogged this from brashblacknonbeliever
- therikeone reblogged this from themarrowofabone
- wristwatchesareneat reblogged this from dancing-painted-bears
- 19890426 likes this
- shiba-s reblogged this from bommiedollie
- bommiedollie reblogged this from xelyna
- dogjournal likes this
- hopefulveterinarian reblogged this from thatfeministdyke
- thegreensanitarium reblogged this from sparkwolf
- sparkwolf reblogged this from aquavitaecollective
- zykielross reblogged this from goddess-of-somethingorother
- lettersiarrange reblogged this from misohead
- anothertoastto likes this
- sparkwolf likes this
- goddess-of-somethingorother reblogged this from brashblacknonbeliever
- bloodll-be-shed reblogged this from naity-sama
- naity-sama reblogged this from ikibari-saga
- templecandy reblogged this from thebigblackwolfe and added:
- kiracatlover reblogged this from xelyna
- ikibari-saga reblogged this from queenofylisse
- sikeopath reblogged this from loki-of-asgard-rp
- averysillybird reblogged this from myasphyxiatedmind
- herdustisverypretty reblogged this from xelyna
- xelyna reblogged this from k-u-r-a-g-e
- tactlessmalcontent reblogged this from aquavitaecollective
- foggypebble likes this
- euphoricelixir likes this
- aquavitaecollective reblogged this from misohead
- misohead reblogged this from ikilledcaptainclown
- likewackingoff-itgetsyouoff likes this
- pandarican likes this