Q:how do you feel about mehreenkasana saying that it's ok for white women to identify as womanists?
White women have their movement. They have mainstream feminism and arguably radical feminism too. If they want to work to make those spaces more inclusive, they are more than welcome to do that.
Womanism was created for WoC by WoC. It is meant to give voice to the issues that affect us and our lives. A white woman identifying as a womanist reeks of “I’m one of the good ones” cookie seeking behavior. There’s also the fact that whenever white people come into WoC/PoC spaces they always fuck it up.
Mehreenkasana is entitled to their opinion on the issue, but I respectfully disagree.
22 Notes/ Hide
- becomingamermaid likes this
- kinkyturtle said: Rebloggable please?
- obliquecity likes this
- tsotchke likes this
- jillyyfish said: Thanks for this. it’s something i’ve wondered about.
- alostbird said: To be honest Mehreenkasan shouldn’t have an opinion on womanism since it was created by Black American women. Not to mention she is also anti-Black.
- vicesandfollies likes this
- revolucion-en-la-cama likes this
- stfusexists likes this
- mssswitch likes this
- vilegoblindaughter likes this
- nerdbyrd likes this
- palebutt likes this
- sizzlykinman likes this
- thesaratea said: wow. i like the idea of intersectionality really making it and getting into feminism. thank you for telling me about womanism.
- alexandraerin likes this
- babysmurf likes this
- shartonnay likes this
- bezdan likes this
- rhazade-waterbender likes this
- brashblacknonbeliever posted this